Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Little Helper

People have asked me if I have any training secrets. I do have something I use to improve my running ability and to increase the pleasure of the run. Therefore, I must admit that I am a big proponent of using LSD. (Anyone else a Jimi Hendrix fan?) My experimentation with it has shown that it really works great! It has been proven time and time again by many other runners that LSD is something that should be more widely utilized. LSD has worked very well for me and it is one common denominator that most of the top running coaches have. When I am training for an Ultra, it seems I can hardly get enough LSD. I mean, a lot. (Have you ever gotten to the point where you could HEAR a color or SEE a noise?) When I am training for a fast marathon, I find I will use a bit less as too much LSD combined with a lot of speed work could result in injury. (Now that would be a BAD TRIP!) I would highly suggest the use of LSD if you are attempting your first marathon. Your objective should be to finish and LSD, used properly, will be the tool that will get you there. (Like a magic carpet ride). For your second marathon, you can use a little less LSD and more speed work. As I always say, LSD (Long, Slow, Distance) is what gets you to the finish line. Speed work will direct how quickly you get there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rick! I hope you're doing well. Sounds like it, from reading your blogs. I like the "LSD" motto. :) Cute. I should've joined you for the group run this morning. I'm procrasting a bit, and have to do 15 today. Have a wonderful weekend! Keep us the good works!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete