Monday, February 15, 2010

Back To The Future




Most of the wounds, physically and mentally, from Arrowhead are gone so it is time to get back to training for the Fargo Marathon. I'm certain to run an Ultra sometime between now and May 22 but for now I will re-focus on Fargo. I ran with the marathon training group on Saturday and since we left from the Fargodome I had to stay and have some pancakes after the run. Good run, good pancakes and good company.

Being my 20x10 involves helping others to achieve their goals and my sister toying with the idea of qualifying for the Boston Marathon, I offered to pace her at Fargo. Her first full marathon was Fargo last year where she ran it conservatively to get a feel for what a marathon is all about and then she ran the Twin Cities Marathon in October where she wanted to run it in sub 4 hours. We successfully ran it together, both had a good time and came in just under 4 hours. We hope to repeat that success in running a sub 3:45 which is the time she needs to qualify for the big show.


3:45 is something I know we are both capable of though we understand that it all has to come together on race day to be successful. Though I have run marathons at this pace a few times, it can not be taken lightly. It is still 26.2 miles and I am old. A lot can happen along the way. We will work together on training strategies and get together once a week for some speed work. Training for ultras, for me, does not include a lot of speed work and speed is something I am certainly lacking right now so I am looking forward to getting into it.
How is your training going? I am really looking forward to shorts and running on dry pavement again soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment