Saturday, September 3, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

Training for my upcoming event has been slow. I'm trying hard to stay away from injury caused by ramping up the mileage too fast though it has prevented me from putting very many miles on at all. I feel like I could go for many many miles but that is not reality. It's just not there right now. I've had things turn around fairly quickly in the past so I am still optimistic that the Bear 100 will be a running event for me and not a volunteering event. I'm not too concerned either way as Kristy and I are really looking forward to getting out to the mountains so we'll enjoy our time out there whether I'm running or not. The volunteering is actually kind of appealing to me coming of off Ben's trek across North Dakota. It was difficult to stay focused on Ben's needs for such a long time when I was so tired I could hardly stay awake. There were many times when I wished I were running instead of crewing as I thought that may be easier. I know that is not true. It was just a low point. I really enjoyed seeing him succeeding at his event regardless of my whining about my tiredness.

Ben seems to be doing fine since crossing ND. He's back at school and the body is healing. It will be fun to hook up with him again and hear some of what he has been reflecting on since completing his monster ultra. I hope to have him write up a bit of what was going on in his head as he was crossing the state, or what gave him the idea in the first place.

For now, it's off to the cabin for the Labor Day Weekend. I'll hopefully get some miles on the trails as I'm in bad need of some runs on uneven and elevated terrain. Hard to get that here in town. Maybe a trip out to the Grasslands next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment