Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scouting The Bear

Kristy and I spent yesterday(Wednesday) driving the route that she will take as my crew during the Bear 100. Though she has spent a couple years in the Logan area, we traveled some roads yesterday that I'm certain the locals don't even know exist. The course I will be on is rated 4/4 on a scale of 1-5 for terrain/surface. The roads we drove on were probably 5/5. We even had the rental car car airborne a time or two.

It was a joy to be in the mountains though I have to admit they are quite intimidating. I guess it wouldn't be normal for me if at some point before an event I didn't have my, "What have I gotten myself into?" moment. The fall colors are coming out, the trail is rugged and steep (26,000 feet), the water is flowing (several stream and 1 river crossing means getting wet), so I guess I'll go with, Beautifully Brutal to describe the course. I feel fortunate just to be here much less be able to participate. Pictures just don't do places like this justice. You have to see it.

Though my training for The Bear has been compromised by the weakness in the knee thing I have, I truly believe that I will be able to complete it. My body may not be ready but I know my heart is. Like my friend Maggie texted to me yesterday, at least it won't be 41 below. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment