Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sizing Up The Competition

During the first foot race I ever entered, a 5k almost 5 years ago, I learned a lesson that has stuck with me to this day. As I stood there, nervously waiting the start, I couldn't help but look around at the other runners and wonder if I was going to finish dead last. At that time I was uncertain if I could even run 3.1 miles.

As soon as we took off I noticed there were some walkers. I then knew I probably wouldn't finish last. Then I passed a group of teenage girls who were arguing with each other about quitting. I didn't give them much of a chance of catching me at that point. Then, at just past 2 miles, I came upon a mother and her son. He was maybe 8 or 9 years old, was now walking and complaining to his mom that he couldn't run anymore. My pace had slowed some but was still pretty close to the conservative pace I had started at. His mother was scolding him for slowing down and I could sense his frustration in that he really wanted to keep up with her but was now giving up. I wanted to pass them to put 2 more people behind me but I just couldn't. I watched their drama for a minute or two and then startled the young man when I said, "Hey, you don't want an old fat guy to pass you do you?" And guess what. He didn't. He found a gear that I don't even think his mother knew he had and off he went surging ahead. Yes, that gear only lasted him about a half mile though it carried him to the finish just ahead of me. He was happy, his mom was happy and I was happy. Win win win.

He's young and will learn about pacing so he doesn't crash during his next race and I am certain at some point he will turn the tables on his mom and leave her in the dust. For me, I hope I never pass him or his mom. They are not my competition. No matter how fast I run or how far I run, someone has run much faster and much further. I look at myself as my toughest competition. Trying daily to improve myself as a runner, husband, father and friend.

In the end, nobody truly cares where you finish more than you do so isn't that really the competition?


"There is nothing noble in being superior to another human being. True nobility is being superior to your former self."
- Tim Tweitmeyer

1 comment:

  1. Well said. "In the end, nobody truly cares where you finish more than you do so isn't that really the competition?" You make an excellent point. Thanks for sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete