Friday, March 26, 2010

Couch To 5K

When I started making plans to run my first marathon, I thought it best that I first focus on running something a bit less than 26 miles. Being it was going to take a year to get myself ready, I had plenty of time to focus on events less than a full marathon.

My first objective was a 5k. I found a plan that was designed to take a person from the couch to a 5k in 6 weeks. Well guess what? You have 8 weeks from today to get ready for the Fargo Marathon 5k. Maybe you could even be ready for the 10k by then. Either way, if you aren't signed up for one of the Fargo Marathon events, you need to be. Getting off the couch and becoming active is the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family. I think I have something to offer my family. If I would had continued living a sedentary life, the years that I would have to spend with them certainly would be cut short just as they were for my older brother, Gene.


You do not have to run the 5k either as there will be plenty of people walking it -including my Mom, who will turn 77 this year. My point is that if you are like me and searching for a reason to be healthy, you don't need to look any further than your family. What good are you to them when you are dead? Get off the couch. It is killing you. Sign up for the 5k to either walk it or run it. Being a part of something so positive can be a life-changing experience and become a stepping stone down a path that leads to a healthier life style.


I hope everyone will take the opportunity to participate in a 5k at least once in their life no matter their age or fitness level. I was 42 and fat when I got off the couch as well being a smoker. If I can get ready for a 5k in 6 weeks, you surely can too. I'll be cheering for you.



Here Comes The Weekend



A busy week of work after a busy last weekend of running. Did a long run with sister Jodi on Friday, with the training group on Saturday, and then with the ultra group in the hills of Hawley/Rollag on Sunday.


This week for a change of pace, Jon and I are going to do our long run at Maplewood State Park. It is Rachel's birthday run and she is celebrating by running back to back marathons. (Sat & Sun) We are meeting up with some friends who are a mix of first time marathoners, marathon veterans and ultra runners. Jon, a first time marathoner, and I will fall short of doing a full marathon with the training plan calling for 14 miles for this weeks long run. I've visited Maplewood before some years ago before I did any running. I remember being exhausted just walking up some of the hills there. Nothing better than the hills to train on to put some stamina in your legs.


I hope to get out Sunday afternoon for a long run. If I can figure out how to attach the tracking device to my pack, I will have the tracking turned on so see if you can figure out where I am.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog...you are very inspiring to me!!!! I'll be there May 22nd!

    ReplyDelete