Sunday, March 28, 2010

Going Solo

Headed to Maplewood State Park yesterday and had an excellent group run. Jon, Penny and I went shorter than the others, who went 26.2 miles and are going to do it again today, wackos, but we got the appropriate miles in, considering the terrain, that was needed for the marathon training program. For Jon and Penny it was a welcome change to the grind on the pavement. Some of the terrain we ran on made it feel like we were running on clouds it was so soft. Your body really notices the difference when you get out on the trails.

The trails themselves were in pretty good shape with just a little water at some of the low spots to get your attention. It is fun to watch how differently people negotiate a potential foot drenching. Some try the jump over method, some will go way around and some go through like they didn't even notice it. For me, I use the tip toe, strategically placed foot, this water will never get me method. I am pretty much 100 percent unsuccessful at keeping my feet dry. I have no idea why I think that being on my tip toes is going to make a difference. Am I thinking the water won't know I'm there? It seems to push my foot deeper in. I think everybody got wet feet at one time or another and for some it caused blisters though I didn't hear anyone really complain. Not one complaint about the rain either.

Running as a group is so much fun especially when you stay together. The seven of us stuck together, starting and finishing as a group regardless of the differences in our abilities. These are good people and I am so fortunate to call them my friends.

As much as I enjoy running as a group, ultra training requires a few solo runs as the events themselves can put you by yourself for hours without seeing another runner. It has been about a month since I have gone long by myself so I am looking forward to getting out this afternoon for a solo long run. I'll have the tracking on (upper right side of page) so you can follow along. Track me down and see if you can name the trail I am on. First person to figure it out and shoot me an email at ultrawagar@gmail.com will get an Arrowhead 135 t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment