Thursday, January 14, 2010

Marathon Training?

On Monday night around 7, I had my wife, Kristy, drop me off just outside of town along highway 81. I hooked up to my sled, jumped into the ditch and headed south. In the sled I had extra clothes, food and a -20 sleeping bag. The wind was piercing and cold. With the snow being soft, going against the wind and pulling a sled, it was very difficult to run and not sweat. Actually, it was impossible for me to run and not sweat and when you are going to be out in the cold for hours, sweating is definitely the enemy. After realizing that I was going to be in trouble if I kept running, I walked. Once I got a mile past Christine, I figured it was time to turn around and head for home. Knowing that Kristy gets up at 5:30 a.m., I timed it so she could pick me up just outside of town as I didn't want to drag my sled over the asphalt and concrete streets. She was tracking me online so she knew where I was and picked me up at 5:45 with a warm cup of coffee. After spending a long night in the lonely, bitter cold, I was really ready to stop. Seeing her round the curve in the van and me knowing my little journey was soon over, was a big relief. The coffee was going to be the best cup ever. Isn't it funny how things taste better and you get more satisfaction from things you have to work for? Such is life. I didn't have to work to get a cup of coffee though the work is what made it taste that much better.

Is this how I am training for the Fargo Marathon? 10+ hours pulling a sled in a ditch? No. So if you are considering a marathon and wondering if this is what you'd have to do, it is not. I truly enjoy training for and running marathons and look forward to the start of training for Fargo. Right now I am training for a self-supported 135 mile trek through the woods on the Arrowhead trail near International Falls which begins on February 1st. Though not a true "running" event. It is probably better to call it a pure endurance event. I say I have been in training for this one since I started running 4 1/2 years ago as it takes all I have learned about running and enduring. I attempted it last year and got my only DNF, stopping after 85 miles. Although I am better prepared this year, I realize the difficulties and that finishing is still no guarantee. There was a 30% finish rate last year. With proper training, the chances of you finishing your first marathon are nearly 100%.


If you are a non-runner, someone just getting started, or someone preparing for your first marathon, please don't be discouraged or intimidated if I post something about one of the goofy events I participate in or am training for. We all have different goals we are reaching for. It wasn't long ago I was in your shoes. I have the utmost respect for anyone who has the courage to train for and get themselves to the starting line whether it be a 5k or a full marathon. If you are brave enough, your life will be forever changed. And remember when you are putting forth that effort in training for or participating in your event that you are adding some much needed spice to your life. For at the end of the day if you have put forth a serious effort, the coffee will always taste that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment