Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Clothing Choices

You have to love the version of winter we have to live in North Dakota or Minnesota. I think we have it the best in that we truly get 4 very distinct seasons. You know, sometimes when you wonder whether its spring or summer. No doubt about it. Today is winter. I look forward to the changing of the seasons and the different challenges it brings as far a running and training goes. The next event I am doing is in International Falls, Minnesota on the 1st of February so it will be a cold one. What better weather to train in but the weather we are having now. New Years day gave me a taste of what I will be in store for during the Arrowhead 135. Every year the event has been held the temps have dropped to at least -20 at some point. Last year it dropped to -34 the second night. Believe it or not, there are some participants from Florida that come up for this event as well as 25 other states and 10 countries.

During the training for my first marathon I did a lot of miles on the treadmill when the weather turned cold and slippery. I really came to look forward to the Saturday group long run as an excuse to get off the treadmill. Now I would rather be outside in the cold weather no matter what it is. Probably has more to do with my attitude about living here and realizing there is nothing we can do to change the weather so I might as well embrace it. As I say, there is no such thing as bad weather when you live in North Dakota, just bad clothing choices.
Stay warm and safe.

2 comments:

  1. If you want to learn more about what my brother is getting himself into, check out the Arrowhead 135 website http://www.arrowheadultra.com/
    I am proud of you Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Rick...your right about the clothing choices..if your dressed right the cold shouldn't be an issue. I look forward to our training runs in preparing for our ultras. I'm excited to see the results next month for your Arrowhead 135. You will do great in it!

    ReplyDelete