Monday, August 15, 2011

My Long Run And Ben's Even Longer Run

I was able to get a 10 mile run in this weekend so hip hip hooray I am into the double digits. I have 5 weeks to build up to triple digits.

The first mile was truly the worst. Lungs were tight. Felt better every mile. I don't want to say my knees hurt though I'd call them sore when I got to the 7 mile mark. They felt tired but I knew they'd be good for 3 more. The only concern now is my hip. After limping for a few weeks, as my right knee was worse than the left, my gait has changed and has impacted my right hip. Not a big concern though something I will pay attention too. All seems well to keep increasing the mileage. Take that Osteoarthritis. Oh ya, my test results came back for Lyme Disease and it was negative. I guess that means I have Osteoarthritis in my knees according to the doctor who actually wasn't a doctor but a Physicians Assistant. I'll just call my daughter for advice next time as she has more training than a PA.

It was a very odd weekend for me. My routine was disrupted by Kristy being out of town. I even forgot to drink coffee one morning. The cats didn't know what to do and just looked lost. She was in Minot with a group from our church helping with the flood recovery. She spent the weekend in various homes hauling out rubble. She says the homes there are devastated. Some have 8 feet of water on the main floor. Not much else you can do but gut it out, dry it out and rebuild.

Speaking of Minot, my friend Ben Clark, 4 weeks after completing the Badwater 135, is from Minot and is trying to raise some funds for the Minot Area Recovery Fund. Knowing he's an Ultra Marathoner, how do you think he is going to do it? You guessed it. An Ultra long run. He is running across the state starting in Beach and finishing in Fargo. He left around noon yesterday, was in Belfield this morning and is still going strong. I will be hooking up with him around mid week and will keep you posted on his progress. Please consider helping out with the Minot Recovery Fund by pitching in a couple bucks. Ben is pretty quiet and didn't do much for press coverage before he headed off on his adventure so if you could,please spread the word. http://www.active.com/donate/FloodRecoveryFund

No comments:

Post a Comment