Sunday, January 23, 2011

Arrowhead Round 3

For the past 3 winters I've been really look forward to this time of year. When all we hear about is how cold it is here in Fargo, how slippery the roads are and how many miles we are now putting on our treadmills, I pull out the sled, winter survival gear and head out for an icy run. Arrowhead training.

Twice before I have been fortunate enough to participate in one of the planets most difficult endurance events. The Arrowhead 135 which takes place in northern Minnesota starting out in International Falls. Both times I did not finish.(DNF) Some would say that at Arrowhead, DNF means Did Nothing Fatal. I'd like to think when I decided to pull the plug I wasn't on the verge of dieing but when the body is getting colder and your mind can't figure out what to do about it, it's time to quit before something happens you might regret. Some would say that would be entering Arrowhead in the first place though both times I've DNF'd I was already thinking of what I'd do differently for the next year if they'd have me back.

Next week at this time I'll be resting up in an I'Falls motel room for the 7 a.m. Monday morning start. We'll get 60 hours to cover the course which is the snow covered Arrowhead State Trail. Looks like a record number of entrants this year with about 140 total signed up in the three category's of bike, ski or foot. My first year there was a finish rate of 30% in the foot division and last year it bumped up to 42% so the odds are getting better. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I have complete confidence that this will be your year to finish. You're not crazy. If a person can't embrace the cold and dark of winter then life is pretty dull for 5 months. Godspeed, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is your year Rick - you will get to the finish line! We are excited to follow along online, checking your progress. Good luck - we will be thinking about you and wishing you well. Erin and Jon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Rick! I will be praying for you, you can do it!
    Amy N

    ReplyDelete