Friday, May 21, 2010

Kids Race

I'm running Fargo on Saturday. Are you? If you are, I'm wondering why.

Seems like every kid in town was running last night at the kids race. Kristy and I along with the girls (Becky and Liz) volunteered for traffic control at the event. I can not believe the number of kids participating. The first wave that came at us, as we were at the turn around point, was the kids 6 and under. What kid wants to go out and run for a 1/2 mile? Seems like when I was a kid under 6 years old I was having my Dad give me a piggy back ride from the basement to upstairs. I didn't want to walk it much less run it.

Maybe all of this marathon stuff is catching on. Maybe Mom and Dad aren't runners though they see something good in it and they are trying to instill it in their kids? If so, I think we have the Fargo Marathon to thank. You see so many people outside running these days and I'm sure they are not all training for the marathon. They see what's going on around them and just instinctively know it is for good. And that is something good.

It was so inspiring to watch these kids running their hearts out and thinking that they probably have no idea why they are doing it. Mom and Dad want me to do it, and I get a medal. For kid, that is true Joy. I am so fortunate to be able to be a part of this. Nights like last night is what helps keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment