Saturday, May 22, 2010

Finding Motivation

Wow. What a Friday. The FargoDome was buzzing all day. I got there before 7 for a breakfast with the people that make up the Fargo Marathon Committee. What an impressive group. Focused, dedicated and determined.

The expo was busy all day. I was at the Q and A table most of the day up until the 5k. It was so fun to see some of the people I have met via the blog face to face for the first time. I hope your event today goes well. I am as excited for you as I am for myself.

As I was sitting at the table, Sandy Buttwieler from KFGO was roaming the Fargodome looking for interviews for the radio. One of the marathon committee people said she should interview me and she looked a little puzzled and said "why" and the committee member said, "cause he's the guy who sat out in the parking lot, smoking a cigarette, eating a doughnut,, watching the first ever Fargo Marathon and now he runs from Grand Forks before the marathon". Sandy said she remembered the story from 2 years ago and started quizzing me for a few more details about the story. Sandy must be pretty good at asking questions because before it was over, she had me in tears. Not from laughing, but from all of the emotions it brought up that I sometimes push back down. Don't want to show any weakness you know. But you know what, I'm a softy. I guess I'm better off just admitting that and going with it. She really roughed me up, but when it was all over I felt relieved and surprisingly refocused. She asked me what my brother Gene would say to me about what I was doing if he were still here and I said he'd say "Keep going, go further". I had never really thought of that befor., I had only ever hoped that what I was doing would meet his approval. I'm trying to use our situation to make a difference in someone else's life and I think he would approve. I know he wouldn't approve of me stopping now. So I will keep going and I will go further.

Then it was out the to 5k at 6:30 to watch my Mom(76), wife(?) and sister-in-law(?). Crowd was enormous. It took nearly 10 minutes for everyone to clear the start line. Waiting for them to come in I stood all by myself on the corner of University and 17th ave. It was just like 5 years ago when I sat about 100 yards away and watched the runners come by - except this time there was not a cigarette but a bottle of water in my hand. I was totally blown away and I was reminded again of why I am here and why I am doing this. Short, tall, fat, skinny, old, young, physically fit, physically challenged, sighted, sightless. All with one common denominator. No quit. I stood there in tears. I found my motivation for today's run. Thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment