Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Snow on the Arrowhead

Recent snowfall over the entire 135 miles of trail we'll use next week has lifted the spirits of those of us participating in this years Arrowhead 135. As of last week, there were parts of the trail that had so little snow that there had been no snowmobile traffic at all and no trail grooming. The race officials have assured us that the event would go on no matter what the trail conditions are. At one point I was considering a bike to traverse the 135 miles but then decided if there was no snow I would put wheels on my sled. I'm glad it snowed. Once less thing to be concerned about.

I'm like most and peek at the long term forecast though I've learned that it rarely is something you can bank on. Last years evening lows of -38 and -41 below was definitely not in the forecast even the day before. Every year they've had the Arrowhead 135 it has dipped to -20 at some point during the event and I would expect that this year will not be an exception. Right now the forecast low is 7 above. I'm not buying it. No worries though, as always, I'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment