Sunday, August 22, 2010

Almost Full Circle

Little did I know when asked for a favor from a friend that it would have such an impact on me. I got a call from my friend Mark Knutson that Pastor Dale's sermon on Sunday would be about perseverance and would like someone running on a treadmill before, during and after the service. As much as I dislike the treadmill, I agreed to do it and quickly had thoughts of regret. Oh well, what can be the worst thing that could happen? I trip and fall? I choke on a drink of water? I have to use the bathroom? I get an injury?

Pastor Dale talked about the keys to running a successful marathon and tied them in with everyday life and it made for an excellent message. There was communion this day and they even brought it to me. How many can say they took communion while running on a tread mill?

What really got me though was a hymn that was sung. The church I'm a member of has 3 services on Sunday during the summer. The one I was running at is more traditional than the service I normally attend so of course the music is less contemporary and more traditional as well. One of the hymns sung was "On Eagle's Wings" (based on Isaiah 40:31 and Psalm 91) which I had not heard since January of 2005 at my brothers funeral. I was not familiar with the song back then though as we were sitting at the funeral home planning the ceremony it was suggested. I mentioned that I did not know the song so the pastor of Gene's church sang the refrain and though the song is very uplifting it brought us all to tears. Needless to say it was in.

Being I was running on a treadmill, I did not have a church bulletin in front of me so I had no idea what music was scheduled. When "On Eagle's Wings" came up it was quite emotional for me as I felt things had almost come full circle. My brother Gene's untimely death was what got me running and though some people play an instrument, sing in the choir or teach Sunday school for their church, here I was running on a treadmill. Maybe things haven't yet come full circle but at least I know I'm on the right path.

Isaiah 40:31
....but those who hope in the lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment