Saturday, May 7, 2011

Recovery Time

It never ceases to amaze me how difficult a 12 mile run can be. Not any 12 mile run but one that is done 2 weeks before a marathon. I think it surprises a lot of people and I have learned not to take it lightly and prepare for this easy, short run just like any other important run.

The group I run with on Saturday picked the pace up quite a bit today compared to our leisurely stroll around town. Some struggled. Some breezed through it. Last week was our last 20 mile run and being just a week after, some have not yet fully recovered. Take heart. You have two whole weeks of recovery to do now and in that time your body will be rebuilding the damage you did these past 16 weeks of torture you've put it through. Although you may not feel it, you'll show up on marathon day the fittest you've ever been holding your head high knowing that you've done all the hard work that goes in to training for the 26.2 miles ahead and have earned your spot on the starting line. Congratulations in getting this far. The battle is almost won.

2 comments:

  1. Just got done with my 12 miler a half hour ago. I was feeling the same thing: man, this should be easier than this, shouldn't it? Looking forward to completing my second marathon.

    -Matt Thalman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wise & encouraging words, Rick! I got goosebumps reading about how each of us has earned our spot at the starting line. You have given us lots of wisdom along the way. I think I speak for all of us first-timer back-of-the-packers, thanks for running those miles with us! It means the world to us. :)

    ReplyDelete