Saturday, February 5, 2011

Thanks For Pulling My Sled

It's taken a couple days but I'm starting to feel somewhat normal again and I'm happy to report that no major injuries have popped up so far. It's been nice to have some down time to reflect.

At the time I crossed the finish line Wednesday afternoon, as much as I wanted to "just get it over with", and besides being really tired, all I felt was humility. I knew before the 56 of us on foot took the starting line that less than half of us would finish. It turned out to be a 35% finish rate. I felt so fortunate to be one of the few people who have attempted Arrowhead on foot to cross the finish line.

Since the first Arrowhead 135, about 170 people have started and 59 times the finish line has been crossed on foot and that is among 42 different people. I know some of the people who have several attempts and no finishes. These are the people I look up to as some of the best ultra runners and toughest people on the planet. I can't help but wonder why I am so fortunate and then I am saddened when I reflect on the series of events that has brought me to this place and time. It's too bad that we have to suffer tragedy before we learn these simple life lessons. It doesn't have to be that way and I hope some of what I do can help people to understand that. I truly believe what I'm doing is for a higher purpose so with my faith along with the love and support I receive from my family and friends, I know that is what carried me through this most difficult event. When you are stripped of all you have you'll quickly figure out what you truly need.

Knowing there were many people back home tracking me via the SPOT Tracking Device, I at first felt like I was carrying them on my back. Almost feeling pressure. When things would get ugly I would think of all those tracking my steps and could feel their encouragement and it would pull me out of my low spot. I relied on that support many many times during the 54 hours it took me to travel the 135 miles. So, those of you that tracked me, prayed for me, read Kristy's updates on the blog and sent me an encouraging text or posting on FaceBook, thank you so much for the support. You were with me all the way.

Stories of the event to follow.

1 comment:

  1. To get to the point of humility and self-examination is indeed a life changing time. For me it's not a one-time event, but an on-going process. "There but for the grace of God, go I.", is a mantra that I need to repeat more often. Thanks for taking me along on the journey. It's an honor to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete