Friday, September 17, 2010

Her First 100

As I've mentioned a few times, a year ago, I was a the only active Ultra-Runner in the FM area and 1 of only a couple in the state. Now the area has more than a half dozen. One of these runners, Maggie, did her first ultra a year ago at Lean Horse doing the 50k. This year she bumped up to the 100 mile. Here is her story:





Lean Horse was an amazing experience. I knew going in that I was up to face challenges that I had not yet faced in my life. That is why I was so excited to get started.

Up at 4am the morning of, we packed the van and headed to the start. My husband Cory facing his first 50k and Rachel crewing for us (bless her heart!).

We arrived at the start and took some pictures and chatted a bit. The start at an Ultra is not the same as other races. I didn’t even notice the countdown, just that the folks around me were starting to walk.

I was able to run the first 12 miles or so with Cory. Then I began to pick up the pace on my speed walk. My running pace was around an 11mn mile and so was my speed walk. This is why I was able to finish.

I was doing pretty well then my music died…..Facing the heat without tunes was rough. As I came to the aid station around mile 37 I sat down and had a good cry. I picked myself up and forged on. I began to sing out loud, and found almost right away that this was the ticket!

I kept experiencing these ups and downs of emotions with no warning. I would cry and have no reason for it? And when I was feeling high I was on top of the world.

As night approached I watched more people drop so I told myself I would not sit at any more of the aid stations. Another reason I finished in time. Just 5 extra minutes here and there would have put me on the DNF list.

I loved the night I felt like a car! As I would approach small towns I would turn on my headlamp to dim, and as I would leave the town I would flip on my brights! I was totally alone and free. Never in my life have a I felt more calm, safe and at peace with myself.

As night wore on I meet a friend named Perry. Perry was running his first 100 mile as well. He was getting pretty sleepy and didn’t feel so well. So I made it my mission to get him to the finish line. He was very funny and I enjoyed the company very much. Then Perry grew stronger as day was breaking and by then my knees were pretty well gone. Rachel, who had been crewing me all day and night began to run with me the last 10 miles. Things were falling apart. By this time Perry had to move on as I was down to a 40mn mile. My knees were grinding into each other and the heels of my feet were completely full of fluid. The heat was climbing and I was not ready to face it in this state. I was sobbing and in excruciating pain. Somehow Rachel got me to the finish and to this day I have no words to express my gratitude for that! Cory also crewed me all night after running himself. I knew that Rick and Cory would be waiting at the finish. I just could not let them or myself down. I was very ill when I finished but I take it all as a learning experience. I can’t wait to do it all again.


Maggie Beal

1 comment:

  1. Reports like these make me glad to only be running 50 miles! Congratulations Maggie on a MAJOR accomplishment. You are one tough lady!

    ReplyDelete